About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, a soldier, a wife. It's as simple as that.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Last Four Years of My Life - Down the Drain?

So, I found out today that I am for sure getting sent to a 6 week class in Florida. This would be awesome news if not for the fact that I also found out today that my husband will be working night shift and will not be able to watch our children for that time. It basically leaves us with no options and one of us has to make the decision to get out of the military. We've made the decision that it will be me. I feel almost hopeless that I've spent the last four years of my life for nothing. Deployed to Iraq for nothing. Trained in my field for nothing. I can't use my experience because most jobs in my field require 5 years at least. I don't have a bachelor's degree so there goes that. I'm not too concerned about what I will do because I can do basically anything to make enough money to make it. It's just frustrating that my entire Army career is for nothing. Yes, I know, I've served my country. Great. It doesn't do anything for my life. This may seem pessimistic or negative but in my shoes that's what it feels like. I guess the worst part is having to make a decision that's forced upon me not by choice and without a better option.

1 comment:

k said...

See, that's the part of the military that makes NO sense. Your choices are to stay in and go to a 6 wk course or to get out? Why would they not make exceptions, like maybe you can go when your husband is not working nights or they could postpone the training? Why is the Army OK with letting a good soldier go over a scheduling issue? I'm assuming you have a stellar record with them. Makes no sense to me. How frustrating